Written by Lenny Coyne
As we head into the Spring and Summer Festival season, the German-American Steuben Parade Committee has begun planning German-American Friendship Month activities for the 2015 Parade season! Here are but a few activities already planned around the 58th annual Parade…
– To kick off the month of September, we begin with a very special dinner-lecture sponsored in part by the Steuben Society of America. The Erik Kurtz Memorial Award will be presented to Dr. Robert A. Selig, Professor of History at Hope College in Michigan and Contributing Editor for German Life Magazine. He will receive the prestigious award during a ceremony at Plattduetsche Park in Franklin Square, NY on Wednesday, September 2nd, 2015.
– Back by popular demand, on Wednesday, September 9th, 2015, we are proud to present Yorkville/Kleindeutschland historian, Kathy Jolowicz, at the Kolping House on East 88th Street in New York City. Kathy will be presenting her Exhibit Lecture entitled “The History of Yorkville/Kleindeutschland: An Exhibit/Lecture … The Lost NYC Era of the 30’s through the 60’s”.
– One of the most popular events year after year is the “NYC German-Pub Crawl” in Manhattan. This event is always a sellout and always a fun time! Two double-decker buses visit various German Pubs in NY City! There are special Beer promotions at every stop and there are drink specials from Parade sponsor Niche Import Co! This event will be held on Saturday, September 12, 2015; locations soon to be announced!
– A Guest Bartending event will take place on Monday, September 14th, 2015 at the Hofbrau Bierhaus NYC featuring past Miss German-America Bartenders during a VERY special Happy Hour! Our former Parade Queens will be back again this year to help us count down 5 days prior to the 58th annual Steuben Parade!
– The Gala Banquet, the night before the German American Steuben Parade on Friday, September 18th, 2015, is a must do! Plans are being formalized for a Gala event like none other to honor the Grand Marshals of the next day’s Parade! Details for this fun and exciting evening will be available shortly.
– The Citi Field Oktoberfest has become the traditional end of the Parade Season in NYC. Join us as we celebrate the Oktoberfest season with the NY Mets on Friday night, October 2nd, 2015. More info to come.
There are more events being planned for Friendship Month. Details will be announced as they become available! Stay tuned to our website for more information on those activities already listed and activities yet to come!
The German-American Steuben Parade Oktoberfest In Central Park
The German-American band “SPITZE” will be in town from Orlando, Florida, playing their own mix of traditional and modern German music! The band has been featured at many of the most prominent German Festivals in the USA and Germany! Their musical talents, energetic stage presence and the unmatched sound of their EXPLOSIVE horn section are what makes this seven piece band hot and in demand from coast to coast.
Back after a two year absence, the one and only Grammy nominee Alex Meixner will also be gracing the big stage along with his band! Alex has been headlining music festivals throughout the US and overseas for years! He has performed with the London Symphony Orchestra, in 2014 with his band in Ireland and with his own jazz and ethnic ensembles all over the US. His music features a unique mix of jazz, classical, pop, polka and many ethnic folk music genres in a very high energy setting!
Also scheduled for this year’s Oktoberfest celebration is the 7th annual “US National Masskrugstemmen Championship” – the official US stein holding championship! This event is co-sponsored by Hofbrau Munchen, S & H Importers and the German-American Steuben Parade. Contestants representing select locations from all over the U.S. will be flown to NYC to compete for the national title and a trip for two to Munich, Germany!
When are tickets available for purchase for the Oktoberfest in Central Park?
Tickets will be available for purchase in July and sell out very quickly! Please check our website and our Facebook Pages within the next few weeks for the ticket sale date announcement!
This event is not to be missed!
On Facebook look for: “Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben”
or find us at “Friends and Fans of the German-American Steuben Parade”